I once said my motto should be More Beans, Less Sugar. Now, while I realize this isn’t the most catchy or even appealing of mottos, it is at the core of the Veggie Lush way of eating. In a way, there is no more magical food than the unassuming bean! Here are five reason beans are the best and should be incorporated into your daily routine.
- They contribute to longevity. Folks who live in Blue Zones (the areas with the most centenarians in the world) eat largely plant based diets with legumes at the center of it all. Want to live to be 100? Cut down on meat and replace it with veggies and beans!
- Beans have a good amount of plant protein, (from 10 to upwards of 30-40 grams per serving in adzukis), great for keeping you full, helping you build muscle and powering your day.
- Fiber Fiber Fiber! Most Americans don’t get nearly enough fiber in their diets. Beans have a ton of both soluble and insoluble fiber, which keeps ya regular, makes you feel full and can even clear away LDL (bad cholesterol). Worried about the “musical fruit” aspect of beans? If you eat beans on a regular basis, your body will adapt, and you won’t get the toots! People who get gas after eating beans are usually just not used to eating them.
- Beans have Calcium, Iron, Potassium and B-6 – these vitamins and minerals are extremely important in your diet and have many major health benefits across your systems.
- They’re cheap! Beans, particularly dried beans bought in bulk, are super inexpensive, so you can go crazy trying new varieties in soups, casseroles, tacos, dips and more!